1 an order for goods to be exported or imported
1 set in from the margin; "Indent the paragraphs of a letter"
2 cut or tear along an irregular line so that the parts can later be matched for authentication; "indent the documents"
3 make a depression into; "The bicycle dented my car" [syn: dent]
4 notch the edge of or make jagged
5 bind by or as if by indentures, as of an apprentice or servant; "an indentured servant" [syn: indenture]
- Rhymes: -ɛnt
- A cut or notch in the margin of anything, or a recess like a notch.
- A stamp; an impression.
- A certificate, or intended certificate, issued by the government of the United States at the close of the Revolution, for the principal or interest of the public debt.
- A requisition or order for supplies, sent to the commissariat of an army.
- To notch; to jag; to cut into points like a row of teeth; as, to indent the edge of paper.
- To dent; to stamp or to press in; to impress; as, indent a smooth surface with a hammer; to indent wax with a stamp.
- To bind out by indenture or contract; to indenture; to apprentice; as, to indent a young man to a shoemaker; to indent a servant.
- To begin (a line or lines) at a greater or less distance from the margin; as, to indent the first line of a paragraph one em; to indent the second paragraph two ems more than the first. See Indentation, and Indention. Normal indent pushes in a line or paragraph. "hanging indent" pulls the line out into the margin.
- To make an order upon; to draw upon, as for military stores.
- To be cut, notched, or dented.
- To crook or turn; to wind in and out; to zigzag.
- To contract; to bargain or covenant.
Indent has several meanings:
- In computing, indent is a computer program that formats C programming language files with a particular indent style. See indent (Unix).
- An indent can be an addition to a legal contract
- Indent is a genus of moths whose larvae are known as vernonia worms
- Text can be indented, meaning it is shifted horizontally from the margin to set it apart from surrounding text.
- Indentation may also refer to the dividing of a document in a zigzag line.
- To indent in Wikipedia, use the : key.
Vandyke, address, adopt, adoption, alveolation, alveolus, application, apply for, appropriate, appropriation, arrangement, arrogate, arrogation, ask, ask for, asking, assume, assumption, bear down, beck, beck and call, beg leave, bespeak, bid come, bidding, blackmail, blaze, bond, boss, bring low, bump, call, call away, call back, call for, call forth, call in, call out, call together, call up, calling, calling forth, challenge, chop, cite, claim, clamor for, colonization, colonize, colophon, concavity, conjure, conjure up, conquer, conquest, contract by deed, contract of record, contract quasi, contribution, convene, convexity, convocation, convoke, couch, covenant of indemnity, crave, crenellate, crenulate, crimp, cry for, cut, dactylogram, dactylograph, debase, debenture, debenture bond, deed, deed of trust, deed poll, demand, demand for, dent, depress, desire, detrude, dimple, dint, downbear, draft, drain, duty, embossment, engrave, enslave, enslavement, evocation, evoke, exact, exaction, excrescence, expressed desire, extort, extortion, extortionate demand, file for, fingerprint, footmark, footprint, footstep, formal contract, fossil footprint, furrow, gash, gouge, group policy, haul down, heavy demand, hog, honeycomb, ichnite, ichnolite, impetration, implied contract, impose, imposition, impost, impress, impression, imprint, incise, indentation, indention, indenture, insistent demand, insurance policy, invocation, invoke, issue an ultimatum, jag, jump a claim, knurl, let down, levy, lower, lump, machicolate, make a demand, make a request, make a requisition, make application, make free with, make use of, mill, monopolize, mortgage deed, muster, muster up, nick, nod, nonnegotiable demand, notch, notice, occupation, occupy, order, order up, overrun, pad, page, parol contract, paw print, pawmark, petition, picot, pimple, pink, pit, place an order, pock, pockmark, policy, preconization, preconize, preempt, preemption, preoccupation, preoccupy, prepossess, prepossession, press down, press in, print, promissory note, pug, pugmark, pull down, punch, punch in, push down, put in for, put in requisition, recall, recess, recognizance, reduce, request, require, requirement, requisition, rush, rush order, scallop, scarify, score, scotch, screw, seal, send after, send for, serrate, serve, set back, set in, sigil, signet, sink, sit on, slash, special contract, specialty, specialty contract, squat on, stamp, step, stud, subjugate, subjugation, subpoena, summon, summon forth, summon up, summons, sunken part, take all of, take down, take it all, take over, take possession of, take up, takeover, taking over, tamp, tax, taxing, thrust down, thumbmark, thumbprint, title deed, tooth, tribute, ultimatum, usurp, usurpation, vestige, warn, warning, whistle for, wish